Christmas is about generosity, good will and love – and thankfully there are many ways to express these sentiments. Instead of spending money on last minute gifts that might end up in landfill, here are a few ideas. Giving to a good cause is one of them. Let’s match the amount of money we spend on presents with the amount we gift to charities! Imagine the impact that would have!
1. Give an hour. Change the Future for Australian disadvantaged children – donate the equivalent of one hour of your income to Children’s Promise and help change the world for the better!
2. Sponsor your very own bear from as little as $200 and help this wonderful Australian organisation to achieve even more ! 100 % of donations go to the cause: Free the Bears
3. Adopt a little penguin! For only $75.00 you can adopt or gift an adoption of a little penguin from Phillip Island in Victoria, Australia and you will receive regular updates about their whereabouts from the Penguin Foundation
4. Buy a loved one (and yourself?) a ticket to the Woodford Folk Festival – or if you can’t spare the time for this incredible happening, donate to support their work!
5. Buy a veggie garden or water for a school with Oxfam unwrapped
6. Give the gift of time: create a voucher for a home cooked meal at your place and include the recipe and suggested time so it will really happen.
7. Do something for somebody: wash their car, babysit, run an errand they don’t have time for – the opportunities are endless.
8. Random gifts of kindness: why not put a food basket together and give it to somebody you know who really needs it? Or surprise a neighbour with home made biscuits, jam or the like? Or volunteer at your local hospital and visit somebody who is on their own during Christmas?
9. Support OzHarvest in their work to rescue surplus food and redistribute it to these who need it by making a donation to their operating expenses!
10. Donate to or volunteer at a local wildlife rescue organisation in your state: Wires; Wildlife Rescue Victoria; Wildlife Preservation Society Qld; Native Animals Rescue WA; Fauna Rescue SA; Wildlife First Aid ACT; Wildcare Rescue NT.
The opportunities are endless and varied!
Wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas and looking forward to connecting with you in the New Year!